Wiki Physician Practice Management Companies- Good or Bad news?

abazcoder

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone here have any experience as an employee with a Doctor's practice that merged with a larger Physician Practice Management company? We just got word today at our job that our large practice is being "merged" with an out of state company and many of the Coders are worried that their jobs may be on the chopping block going forward.
Management has been vague so far as to how this will affect us directly, but I'm curious as to what happens in these sorts of mergers. Do they simply bring in a whole new office staff? Are the current workers grand-fathered into the Practice Management group we're joining?
I literally have no idea what this merger means for us, except I'm pretty sure it comes down to financials for our Doctors. They probably figured this is the smartest move for them as they're looking to expand and grow our practice for the future.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or experiences, good or bad, with this type of situation?
Thank you all

Does anyone here have any experience as an employee with a Doctor's practice that merged with a larger Physician Practice Management company? We just got word today at our job that our large practice is being "merged" with an out of state company and many of the Coders are worried that their jobs may be on the chopping block going forward.
Management has been vague so far as to how this will affect us directly, but I'm curious as to what happens in these sorts of mergers. Do they simply bring in a whole new office staff? Are the current workers grand-fathered into the Practice Management group we're joining?
I literally have no idea what this merger means for us, except I'm pretty sure it comes down to financials for our Doctors. They probably figured this is the smartest move for them as they're looking to expand and grow our practice for the future.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or experiences, good or bad, with this type of situation?
Thank you all
Did you ever get any responses to your question?

There are 100 different scenarios that could play out. I worked for a small practice that was acquired by a large healthcare system. My physician made sure everyone kept their job, at their same salary before signing. Some physicians may not have the clout to do so, or may only care about their end of the contract and not what happens to the employees. Sometimes employees who worked in the practice will be moved to a corporate department. I have heard horror stories, and I have heard amazing stories. Sometimes this can be an opportunity for skilled employees who sort of hit the ceiling at a practice to be able to work in a larger department where there is room for growth. I wouldn't panic. The practice still needs to run and still needs to be profitable.