Wiki Picc line draw 36592

Lisarae1970

Contributor
Best answers
Our Hematology/Oncology nurses draw lab specimens from PICC lines all day long. In the CPT book (36952) it states "Do not report with any other service". So the specimens that we were after are for what purpose, if we can not charge for the draw? Am I understanding this correctly? Can we bill out a 99211 instead when a patient presents specifically for lab services and the specimen if collected from a port? Should we not be charging for a venous access draw when it is performed for laboratory testing purposes?
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Our payors (except anthem) will pay for the 36952 billed with lab services only; if the patient had any chemotherapy service or office visit it will deny the charge. The note "Do not report with any other service" refers to chemo/surgery/bmbx/ov, etc. You should not get any denials when you are billing for just the labs. Look at your specific payors bundled code list to find out if they are bundling the code with the labs. Anthem of ME bundles the 36592 & 36591 with 85025 so we have to write off the draw.

Thank you~ I am referring to encounters when pt. presents for no other services, just labs. It would only make sense that if we want the blood, we plan to do something with it!