Wiki Pinterest for Coding...?

Would you use a 'Pinterest'-type site, made just for coding professionals?

• Total voters

btadlock1

Best answers
I had an epiphony, and I wanted to get some feedback...I want to make a website that's like Pinterest, but for professionals...It would be an Industry-specific 'pinboard'; instead of being just random stuff people find interesting on the internet, it's tailored to specific industries - like, coding, for example. (It could potentially be useful for other professions, but I originally thought of a site for the healthcare industry, as a start).

Pinterest, (for those of you have haven't gotten sucked in already) is a semi-social networking site & online pinboard - basically, you make your own board, and fill it with things you clip from around the internet - recipies, decorating ideas, funny pictures, clothes you like, etc. (There's an article about it on CNN, here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/26/tech/w...iref=allsearch). You can also follow other people's boards, re-pin stuff you like, and comment on pins.

What if you had a place like that, for coding stuff? I can think of a ton of things that I've searched and referenced, that I'd love to be able to catalogue in 1 place - articles from different sources, links to websites, great PDF files, charts, payer policies, and so on...Just being able to organize it all, would be awesome, on its own.

Plus, the ability to share info that's helpful to everyone, across a network of other HIM professionals, has obvious benefits, as well. I'm seriously working to make something like this happen, but I wanted to get some thoughts on it...

What do you think - Pinterest for the Coding Industry (Pindustry...lol) - is it something you'd use?

I have never heard of Pinterest but it sounds very interesting. Keep us informed of your progress.

Not to burst your bubble ...

Brandi,
Not trying to squelch your enthusiasm ... but
1) isn't this just duplicating what this forum (and other professional site forums) are all about?

2) MANY organizations block social networking sites - mine is one. So this would be absolutely no use to me, unless I was going to access it from home. Frankly, I do enough work when I'm at work; I wouldn't use it from home to research work-related issues.

Just my take.

Love your enthusiasm and giving nature in trying to help all of us be better at our profession.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Brandi,
Not trying to squelch your enthusiasm ... but
1) isn't this just duplicating what this forum (and other professional site forums) are all about?

2) MANY organizations block social networking sites - mine is one. So this would be absolutely no use to me, unless I was going to access it from home. Frankly, I do enough work when I'm at work; I wouldn't use it from home to research work-related issues.

Just my take.

Love your enthusiasm and giving nature in trying to help all of us be better at our profession.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

No worries...I've actually considered both points:
1) What I envision isn't really a duplication of the forum, as much as a companion site. The forum is for asking and answering questions, and people do share great resources here - I've gotten links, articles, and all kinds of other stuff that's been incredibly useful to me, but there's not a convenient way for me to take all of those helpful hints, and organize them in a way that they're easy for me to find.

I know I could just search through my old posts to find them, but there are hundreds of them by now, and it's time-consuming to look into each one to find what I'm looking for; trying to narrow them down by topic, doesn't help much, either, since I've commented on the same topics several times.

Plus, a lot of people come onto these forums strictly to ask questions, some of which, have already been answered - sometimes several times. I don't always get the impression that they've tried to search for an answer to their question first - or, maybe they did, and were just overwhelmed by a huge number of threads on the same topic - there's really no way to know. The bottom line is, for whatever reason, the answer they needed wasn't 'right there', when they needed it.

The site I'm trying to make, will allow people to compile their favorite resources, including links to specific forum discussions on here, into one place, where they can easily organize it, and find it again for later use. It's not a place to ask and answer questions; it's a place to collect and organize all of the answers (and other resources), that you've found to be the most helpful, no matter where they came from.

Each user would have their own board, and wouldn't necessarily have to interact with anyone else, but if they wanted to, they could view, comment on, and copy stuff from other people's boards, if they think it would be useful to them, too.

So, if someone posts a thread on here asking about E/M leveling, and you give them a fabulous answer, they'd be able to take that info (or just a link to it -I haven't worked that part out yet), and add it to their board, for future reference, without having to search through every question you've ever answered about E/M, to find it. (Which is just a few, right? :))

2) My work also blocks social networking - that is one element that I will be sure to cover: the site isn't really meant primarily as a social network, but a professional network; and really, it's only a "network", to the extent that information can be shared, and commented on. It's main purpose will be for individual use, so each person can have their own "Awesome resources I've found" page. My goal is to eventually branch out to other industries, once it's off the ground. But no matter what, I will make certain that it's not classified as a 'social' network.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. I come across articles and things that I would love to keep without printing them off and piling them up at home. Let me know if you do come up with a website, I will be the first to join!