Wiki Place of Service Conundrum

capricew

Best answers
We have an urgent care center, (2 bed center with full bay, crash cart, Xray etc) that is not a free standing facility. It located inside of our Pain clinic. The bays are only used for urgent care patients who do not have scheduled appointments. My dilemma, is which POS goes on my claim? 20 or 11?

My urgent care is licensed as an urgent care and claims are all billed with a separate tax ID and NPI and in fact is it's own entity from our pain clinic. But the POS 20 descriptor states:

"POS: 20, Urgent Care Facility: Location, distinct from a hospital emergency room, an office, or a clinic, whose purpose is to diagnose and treat illness or injury for unscheduled, ambulatory patients seeking immediate medical attention. "

It is the distinct part, that i am getting hung up on, any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!!

Hi Caprice,

I agree with the "distinct" hang up. The descriptor states "...or clinic..." Since the urgent care facility is located inside the pain clinic this would seem to exclude using that side of service. But - my argument would be it is not included in the Pain Clinic and Pain Clinic patients are not seen in those bed (right?). They are used exclusively for Urgent Care patients and Urgent Care only. Therefore, even though the physical location is inside the Pain Clinic it is apart from the Pain Clinic and only used for Urgent Care. I guess what I'm trying to say is what you call where it's located is not relevant if it is dedicated to only Urgent Care.

Linda

I vote for POS 20 because you are not providing care for anything other than urgent care "for unscheduled, ambulatory patients seeking immediate medical attention." If your pain clinic is in Suite A, and there is a different urgent care facility in Suite B, they are separated by walls and are separate locations. Just because your urgent care facility is under the same roof as the pain clinic does not mean it is part of the pain clinic. The IRS allows for a separate "office" in one's home and deductions can be made for this "office". I don't see a lot of difference in having the "urgent care facility" as a separate and distinct part of the floor plan.

Thanks a bunch to both of you. I was thinking the same thing but wanted to see how my fellow coders felt.

You guys are awesome!!

Caprice