Wiki Placement of external ventricular drain

KBean2018

Guru
Best answers
Hello, I am unable to locate cpt for the below procedure. Any assistance is appreciated. thank you

Procedure: Placement of external ventricular drain
An external ventricular drain was placed into the ventricle on the first pass without difficulty. The pressure remained low. This was tunneled out posteriorly and secured to the skin with a 3-0 nylon suture. The wound was then irrigated and closed in the usual fashion. All sponge and needle counts were correct. I was present, scrubbed, and performed/supervised all key portions of this procedure. The patient was then awoken and taken to recovery room in good condition with no evidence of intraoperative complications.

Hello

The insertion of a ventricular drain that is tunneled for external drainage is usually coded with either 61107 or 61210 depending on the approach (61107 for twist drill holes or 61210 for burr holes). I'm not seeing an approach mentioned in the report. I'm not sure if this detail was just omitted or if perhaps the patient already had an existing access (e.g., craniotomy flap had already been removed)? Can you clarify? That will help determine the final coding.

Kim
www.codingmastery.com

Hello team,
could you please tell me how to bill burr hole procedure.
Dx: Hydrocephalus.
Surgery procedure: Burr hole for drain CSF fluid subdural with EVD system.

can we consider it as two separate procedure, because CSF drained during surgery, finally EVD system inserted on the same setting for monitoring ICP.
cpt: 61210 showed separate procedure; is it using ICP monitoring?
Can we use CPT: 61154 (evacuation or drainage hematoma-subdural) OR 61156 (aspiration hematoma or cyst - intracerebral) for CSF drainage as nearest code which allowed to bill along with 61210.