Wiki Placental Nodules

RobynKing

Networker
Best answers
Morning everyone! I have something on my pathology report. Dr is reporting a Placental nodule. The patient is not pregnant nor has been recently. He states that this is benign and can be detected many years after a known pregnancy.. Placental-site nodules appear to be incompletely absorbed placental site. The O43.93 code just is not cutting it for me. Does anyone have anything more useful for this problem? The reason for the curettage was menorrhagia.

Thanks so much!
Robyn King, CPC.

The cause of PCN isn't fully understood, it is the remnants of noninvoluted intermediate trophoblast from a previous pregnancy. After doing some researching, I discovered that it's important to distinguish a placental site nodule (which is not neoplastic) from epithelioid trophoblastic tumor and placental site trophoblastic tumor (both of which are neoplastic).

I agree with you that O43.93 doesn't seem right. I would choose O94 (Sequelae of complication of pregnancy, childbirth, and the puerperium) and code first N85.8 (Other specified noninflammatory disorders of uterus).