Wiki Platlet rich injections

TinaG

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me the proper way to bill for a platlet rich injection done
in an outpatient setting? There seems to be alot of confusion on the proper
coding of this injection.

platlet rich injections ???

Our Rehab docs are using platlet rich plasma for back pain. They draw blood from patient spin in centrifuge and then inject into patient's ligaments and spinous processes. I am just now starting research on how this should be coded?? I was looking at blood patch 62273 but that is not complete and not exact.
If anyone has any insight, please share. Thank you, Lise

at margie vaught's conference in New Orleans she said 29999 for physicians and 86999 for facilities. my doc's want to use ANYTHING but the unlisted code. been researching but don't think it will happen.

if you hear anything please let me know but I think the best bet is the unlisted codes.

:D

Margie Vaught will be coming to our office in the very near future. I will bring this question up for clarification. Thanks for reminder nyyankees. I have soooo many questions for her. :)

Thank you nyyankees!! I am actually going to do just what you are suggesting. That doesn't mean the red sox are going to do the same for the yankees ha ha.
larmour
boston

Platelet rich injections

Hello,
We have been billing for this for some time and have found that no one will pay the surgeon for doing this procedure except to bill for the injection only(eg: 20551). On the facility side, we bill the injection code, 86999 for the centrifuge and A4649 for the kit.

Judith Doss, CPC
OAD Orthopaedics