Wiki Please help Debridement of Mitral Valve

lmz0330

Networker
Best answers
I have never had to code Median Sternotomy, excision and debridement of vegetation on the Mitral Valve.

I have looked and can not find a code, but I'm thinking there must be one any suggestions are appreciated. Should I use unlisted procedure?

Thank You

Lori

Its not unlisted, you would use one of the following codes 33425-33427. Without seeing the note, it sounds like this may be 33425.

Lisi, CPC

Im not sure I can use this

The only instruments used were forceps and a suction device. Do you think I should use this with a 52 modifier. He basically suctioned off vegetation on the leaflets.......no cutting, no sutures, no manipulation involved at all. He had vegetation removed only.

I appreciate your help!

Im not sure I can use this

The only instruments used were forceps and a suction device. Do you think I should use this with a 52 modifier. He basically suctioned off vegetation on the leaflets.......no cutting, no sutures, no manipulation involved at all. He had vegetation removed only.

I appreciate your help!

Lori

I wouldn't add the -52. Code 33425 specifies "valvuloplasty" (which this is) it doesn't say "by cutting, suturing, etc." I realize your coding companion may say that this procedure is performed by cutting, suturing, etc but the coding companion is really just a guideline as to how the procedures are usually performed. It doesn't mean there won't be some variation among surgeons.

I would only add the -52 if the patient was not put on CPB.

Lisi, CPC