Wiki Please help on FAST Scans (76705 & 76775)

malery_03

New
Best answers
We are running into a bit of a confusion at work regarding the FAST scans for the following
-76705: Ultrasound, abdominal, real time with image documentation; limited (eg, single organ, quadrant, follow-up)
-76775: Ultrasound, retroperitoneal (eg, renal, aorta, nodes), real time with image documentation; limited

These two Ultrasounds are done in the same anatomical structure so I'm asking if there needs to be a certain verbiage or documentation when It comes to the specifically the Retroperitoneal US (76775). My question is, is this statement sufficient to code BOTH 76705 (Abdomen) and 76775 (Retroperitoneal)?

Our doctors are dictating the following:
ABDOMEN: A coronal plane of the right upper quadrant was obtained and negative for fluid in Morison's pouch, and it the right paracolic gutter. Next, a coronal plane of the left quadrant was obtained and negative for anechoic fluid in the Splenorenal space, and paracolic gutter. Next, a superpubic window was negative for free fluid posterior and lateral to the bladder.

Any further insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CPT 76775 is an US for vascular structure and 76705 is general abdominal US

76770/76775, the following must be documented:
complete: both kidneys, abdominal aorta, common iliac artery orgins, and inferior vena cava
Limited: at least 1 of the above must be documented in the report.

76700/76705, the following must be documented:
complete: Liver, gallbladder, common bile duct, pancreas, spleen, both kidneys, upper abdominal aorta, & inerior vena cava.
Limited: at lease 1 of the above must be documented.

I hope this helps :)

CPT 76775 is an US for vascular structure and 76705 is general abdominal US

76770/76775, the following must be documented:
complete: both kidneys, abdominal aorta, common iliac artery orgins, and inferior vena cava
Limited: at least 1 of the above must be documented in the report.

76700/76705, the following must be documented:
complete: Liver, gallbladder, common bile duct, pancreas, spleen, both kidneys, upper abdominal aorta, & inerior vena cava.
Limited: at lease 1 of the above must be documented.

I hope this helps :)
Hi Jennifer, you are very helpful thank you!
I just wanted to confirm If the documentation for the 76775 does NOT include at least 1 of the following (kidneys, abdominal aorta, common iliac artery origins and inferior vena cava).. we cannot use that code, correct?

Yes, you will need to have your Dr. do an addendum. :)

Also, just an FYI, if they do a renal US (76770/76775), documenation should be as followed:
complete: both kidneys and bladder
limited: 1 of the above must be documented.

How are you all billing a limited bilateral ultrasound? I have been coding as 76775, 76775-59 but Medicare is duping out the second line (modifier 50 is not an allowed modifier with this code)