Please help!!!! Ophthalmology injection

jessey223

Best answers
Hi all im in need of some help I have three patients all of which received the
J9190 (Flurouracil) 5 F/U Injection but I have never billed this one before. I looked everywhere I could think of online and found nothing. I tried to look up for units, NDC etc but I could not find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dkeown

Guru
Best answers
According to one of my physicians, who asked for guidance from one of the coder trainers here, this is the way to code them:

"...researched the subconjunctival injections and they are billable as a staged procedure with the following guidance:

The patient is predisposed to inflammation and scarring, so the glaucoma surgeon plans to use 5-FU injections for the postop period. Code 68200 with the -58 modifier is used to show that these injections were a staged procedure. Use code J9190 to report the drug.

But to be considered "staged" the ophthalmologist must have determined before or during the procedure that the 5-FU injections would be necessary, (because of a predisposition to scarring) and indicated this in the patient's chart or op note."

We bill the number of units injected by the size of the product (we have 2: the 1 mL {1 Unit} amp & 50 mL vial {5 Units}).

Hope this helps.