Please help-Ordering Provider

aosborn

New
Best answers
Hi~I hope someone can answer this for me.

Dr. A orders a procedure and it is billed under his name but Dr. B is the the one to actually review the results and sign the report. Is this okay? If we are billing under Dr. A shouldn't he be signing the results too?

Thanks!

An order does not qualify for billing. Was there an OV - if so then Dr. A would bill the office visit. Who did the procedure? If Dr. B is reading the results but did not perform the procedure it may need to be split using a TC and 26 modifier.

Unfortunately there is not enough information to provide a real answer back to you.

Hi and thank you for responding,

The procedure is a sleep study. Dr. A orders the sleep study (we own the sleep center) and the patient comes back a week after the study for results. The follow up for results is being scheduled with another provider and he is signing the report. We have been billing the procedure itself under the ordering doc. I'm being told that the ones that are ordering are not "qualified" to go over the results so they don't want to sign the report. They are MD's that are ordering it. I'm not sure if this is acceptable. I'm hoping you will answer again and that a little more info helps!

Thanks!