Wiki Please help with modifier 73

MLHANNA

Best answers
The description of modifier 73 states if a case is cancelled, to safeguard the well being of the patient, "subsequent to the patient's surgical preparation (including sedation and being taken to the room), but prior to the administration of anesthesia", modifier 73 may be appended and the code can be billed to the ins co.(for a reduced reimbursement rate). In my interpretation, this means that the window for using this modifier is AFTER the facility nurses take the history and administer IV w/saline (prep the patient), not during that time. If the patient has provided history and received a saline IV but not yet been given sedation or been transferred to the room then the code cannot be billed and the modifier does not apply. Am I understanding this correctly?
Please help.

My understanding of Modifier 73 is that it applies if the procedure is cancelled/ aborted (due to extenuating circumstances or those that threaten the well being of the patient) "after" patient is taken into the O.R., but "before" receiving
any anesthesia in the O.R.

In other words, if the procedure is cancelled before the patient goes into the O.R. itself,
CPT of intended procedure and Modiifier 73 cannot be utilized.