Wiki Please need help! Lap cholecystitis w/ colotomy

amny1212@yahoo.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hello Everyone,just wanted to confirm my chosen selection,if i can have someone please give me their opinion

PROCEDURE: LAPARASCOPIC CHOLOECYSTECTOMY AND ALSO PRIMARY CLOSURE OF TRANSVERSE COLON COLOTOMY.

I have chosen

thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Acute Cholecystitis w/ Colotomy

Hello Everyone,just wanted to confirm my chosen selection,if i can have someone please give me their opinion

PROCEDURE: LAPARASCOPIC CHOLOECYSTECTOMY AND ALSO PRIMARY CLOSURE OF TRANSVERSE COLON COLOTOMY.

I have chosen

:confused:
thank you in advance,much appreciated

47562 is correct, but not 44227 - that code is for closure of an oStomy, with resection and anastomosis. If this was all one session, it may have been an accidental intraoperative colotomy that was being closed, and you generally don't code or charge for that. Check the op notes to be sure.

Thanks so much for your input CMARTIN,you just confirmed my first thought. I also believe it was done accidently interroperatively. I will quote

"A vertical incision was made within the umbilical region.the patient had an umbilical hernia that was about 5 to 6mm in size.the dissection was done to remove the hernia sac and also the protruding fatty tissue;however,further dissection identified that the transverse colon was up against this region and colotomy was created with our open dissection.this area of hte colon was identified."

Reading that paragraph leads me to believe it was accidental: the colotomy,therefore I know not to code.But my co-worker (much experienced) says otherwise.She says the surgeon did not state it.