Wiki PleurX catheter?

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
Can CPT 32421 be coded with CPT 32422?

And with CPT 32422, is the catheter ever left in and the patient discharged home with it to home manage the effusion.

Thanks
Daniel,CPC

P.S: if your willing to allow me to fax the report over to you, I'd appreciate it. We can go over this on the phone. Not looking for you to do the work for me, just seeking some live feed back. I'll pre code the report, and we'll go over my confusion on this.

Hi ~ I checked my Custom Coder and it does not state that these are bundled, but I can see where one would think that they may be. Sorry not much help on this one. I don't know why both procedures would be performed, not saying that they weren't but I just don't understand it. Is your surgeon willing to help explain maybe?

Is this the Pleurx catheter case you posted a separate question about? The codes for the pleurx are 32550, 75989.

As far as 32421 and 32422, I don't think you would charge for both unless there was more than one done. Either the surgeon does a thoracentesis and then places a tube (32422) or he does a thoracentesis and does NOT place a tube (32421). At least, that's how I see it :)

Lisi, CPC