Wiki Pocket Revision for Pacemaker Cpt Code

kvogel03

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone,

I have a case where a patient got there generator changed for a pacemaker. After the global period the patient came in for a pocket revision of the pacemaker. The physician opened up the pocket removed the pacemaker to flush pocket with antibiotics and put the pacemaker back into the pocket.

I have reviewed CPT Book it sent me to incision and drainage codes, but that isn't what the physician did. Is there a CPT Code for just the Pocket Revision ?

Hello everyone,

I have a case where a patient got there generator changed for a pacemaker. After the global period the patient came in for a pocket revision of the pacemaker. The physician opened up the pocket removed the pacemaker to flush pocket with antibiotics and put the pacemaker back into the pocket.

I have reviewed CPT Book it sent me to incision and drainage codes, but that isn't what the physician did. Is there a CPT Code for just the Pocket Revision ?
That would not qualify as a pocket revision. To qualify, the provider would need to remove the pacemaker, close the pocket and create a new one in a different position. Just flushing the pocket with anything is not a revision. Not sure what you mean by 'got their generator changed for a pacemaker'. A pacemaker is a generator and vice versa. Perhaps you could clarify.

Hope that answers your question.

Yes, I understand what a pocket revision is. I don't think there is anything I can bill for them just flushing the pocket.

Sorry for confusion it was supposed to say generator change.

Along the same lines-- how would you code for a physician that opens the pocket, takes out the pacemaker, expands the pocket, puts the old pacemaker back in and closes it? It's not a revision because he didn't move the pocket. there was no hematoma or anything to code one of the I&D codes. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.