Wiki Podiatry coding certification

MarciaH

Best answers
Does anyone know if there is somewhere to get certification in Podiatry coding? Is anyone here certified in Podiatry coding? I know the AAPC doesn't have this specialty as yet. I wonder if they will eventually.

I have been in Podiatry for a year now and I'm thinking of making this my career and want even more certification in it. Any ideas?
Thanks!

The American Society of Podiatric Medical Assistants (ASPMA) has a certification for podiatry coding. The podiatrist you work for has to be a member of the American Podiatric Medical Association. You will need to be a member and application and membership fees are now $85.00. ASPMA website is www.aspma.org. The Podiatric Coding Certification is under Certification and then Certificates of Education. The cost for the Podiatric Coding Certification and Exam "CD" is $75.00.

Tammy,

I was unable to find out the CEU specifics on the website. I sent an email to them asking, but have not yet received a response. Do you, by any chance, have any idea about how many CEUs are required, and if they honor other companies CEUs?

They accept other CEU if you can show how it directly relates to podiatry they also have a quartly magazine that you read articles and send in the Q/A section to get CEU's.

Are there a required amount of CEU's you need to obtain each year like the AAPC does?

The Podiatrist I work for belongs to the ASPMA and he pays for all the MA's to be members. I'm looking in to if he will pay for me (as a coder/biller) to be a member and if he will pay for the certification as well.

Yes there are CEU's to keep up but you can get them by filling out the Q/A section for administrative part of their quarterly magazine. They also have a certification PMAC for the administrative part of a podiatric office.