Wiki Podiatry

KoBee

Expert
Best answers
Any one have any good resources in regards how to under and code debridement of ulcers , routine foot care and trimming of nails. I feel there is so much info and looking for sources to help understand how to code, what to look for etc etc, feel a little loss :/ I would greatly appreciate any feedback or recommendations of books, videos or webinars .. Thank you

Debridement of ulcers (any open wound) is coded in the 110XX. The physician needs to document the size of the ulceration and the tissue depth of the debridement (skin/subq, muscle/fascia or bone). It's been my experience that physician just love to document that the "wound was debrided". That's meaningless. In podiatry it's common for a patient to have multiple open wounds. Each one that is debrided must be documented separately according to size and tissue depth. It's also been my experience, especially those who treat the feet, the physicians incorrectly label procedures that are performed. They love documenting an "I&D" even though that's not what they did. So you have to read very carefully. Most of the time they want you to bill an "I&D" code when debridement codes are what is documented. I have a powerpoint that goes over trimming of nails and things like that. I can email it to you if you would like.

Debridement of ulcers (any open wound) is coded in the 110XX. The physician needs to document the size of the ulceration and the tissue depth of the debridement (skin/subq, muscle/fascia or bone). It's been my experience that physician just love to document that the "wound was debrided". That's meaningless. In podiatry it's common for a patient to have multiple open wounds. Each one that is debrided must be documented separately according to size and tissue depth. It's also been my experience, especially those who treat the feet, the physicians incorrectly label procedures that are performed. They love documenting an "I&D" even though that's not what they did. So you have to read very carefully. Most of the time they want you to bill an "I&D" code when debridement codes are what is documented. I have a powerpoint that goes over trimming of nails and things like that. I can email it to you if you would like.
Hello, would you please forward me your powerpoint for trimming of nails to kedwards@doctorsmakinghousecalls.com.
Thank you, Kim

Any one have any good resources in regards how to under and code debridement of ulcers , routine foot care and trimming of nails. I feel there is so much info and looking for sources to help understand how to code, what to look for etc etc, feel a little loss :/ I would greatly appreciate any feedback or recommendations of books, videos or webinars .. Thank you
I have a PDF my boss got from a seminar that really helps me break down the routine foot care codes I can share

I would love a copy of your powerpoint, please share :) loyam2620@gmail.com

Good afternoon, May I please have a copy of your power point for my May office meeting. I would love to use it for my new podiatrists. Thank you! saintjj66@yahoo.com

The APMA coding resource specifically Codingline is invaluable in Podiatry. I have been coding and billing podiatry for over 20 years and would be happy to consult with you.

Where is the powerpoint from? Did you create it? Way to go! I would love to take a peek too. toniasilva856@gmail.com

Hello, can you please email me the powerpoint that you're mentioning ? adamgutierrez16@gmail.com

Hello, can you please email me the powerpoint that you're mentioning ? adamgutierrez16@gmail.com
Adam, orthocoderpgu said in a post from September that the power point is no longer available. I see you are in CA as am I. I have a one hour course/presentation available for all jurisdictions for routine foot care and another for wound care, PM me if interested.