Wiki Point Based ER Coding

marianne202

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

Currently our hospital codes our ER levels based on diagnosis only. We would like to move to a more accurate point based coding system taking into account nursing interventions etc. Does anyone here use a point based coding system? Can you recommend any for us to research? I have seen similar systems for E/M coding, but not for ER application. Any suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The facility I worked at used a point based system, we based the points on a 5 point scale and related it to the utilization of resources. The basic guidelines you are to go by actually state you cannot base the level on the dx or time. Also you cannot assign points to a service that has a CPT. so for instance we gave 5 points for vitals but if they were continuous vitals we gave 10 points. % points to trans port the patient to the lab or have a lab runner come and get the specimen, and 5 points to take the patient to the radiology. And so on.. Then our point spread was 0-5 was a no visit, 5-14 was a 1, 15-24 was a 2, 25-34 was a 3 and 35 and up a 5.
Hopefully this helps

Our facility did a point system as well. I may have an old sheet around if you would like to see, send me an email and I can email you a copy if you would like to look at it.... for a reference.

thanks, Sue