Wiki Polyp with Dysplasia

msawyer

Contributor
Best answers
pathology came back with Adenomatous polyps of distal sigmoid colon with Moderate surface dysplasia would you use D12.5 or D37.4 my understanding if the pathology came back with indications of atypia or dysplasia, the neoplasm is in transition from benign to malignant ( precancerous) . This is a neoplasm of uncertain behavior . It is not benign because benign has no precancerous cells, and it not malignant because it has not become cancer yet.

Since the pathology report states the polyps are adenomatous, D12.5 would be the correct code. Assigning a code for uncertain behavior would only be appropriate if the neoplasm can't be confirmed as malignant or benign. The presence of low-grade dysplasia doesn't change the fact that the polyp was confirmed to be benign.

Sorry i have another question about this subject i am studying for my CRC and the study guide i received from AAPC states the same thing about receiving path

pathology came back with Adenomatous polyps of distal sigmoid colon with Moderate surface dysplasia would you use D12.5 or D37.4 my understanding if the pathology came back with indications of atypia or dysplasia, the neoplasm is in transition from benign to malignant ( precancerous) . This is a neoplasm of uncertain behavior . It is not benign because benign has no precancerous cells, and it not malignant because it has not become cancer yet.

So I am confused if I get question