Wiki Polypectomy w/dx of benign colonic mucosa

EricaR

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I am curious if anyone has any authoritative information on how you should code a colonoscopy with polypectomy that comes back from pathology as benign colonic mucosa.
Would love anything to support statements, but I'm interesed in different opinions also! Thanks!

Erica

polypectomy w/dx of benign colonic mucosa

look for info from Dennis L. Padget Pathology Service Coding Handbook. Awesome information. He also is invovled with Pathology/Lab Coding Alert Newsletter. My last version is 8.4 (October 1, 2008). I have not updated since then. Last contact info i have is:
Dennis L. Padget
DLPadget Enterprises, Inc.
2347 Clearwater Run
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 502-693-5462
Email: EZPathCoding@bellsouth.net

Good Luck

I don't have any authoritative info, but I use my dr's judgement. If he called it a polyp (sometimes the whole specimen doesn't get collected) then I code as a benign polyp. If he wasn't sure what it was, then I code to any symptoms that the pt had. If the scope was done for screening purposes and dr wasn't sure that it was a polyp then I code for the colonoscopy with no biopsy.

If the physician did a biopsy with the Colonoscopy, I would code the biopsy.

As for diagnosis, you can only work with what you have. If need be, send supporting
documentation to insurance carrier.

Thank you all for this assistance, we follow along the same guidelines as Melissa states above, if the Dr. called it a polyp and it comes back from path as benign mucosa we are using 211.3. Just wanted to see what other folks thought about this situation. I have had some say they would go back to the indications in these situations. Thanks again!