Wiki POS, 11 versus 81 and 11 versus 22

annettebec

Networker
Best answers
1) We are an Independent Lab - Historically we have used 81 as the POS for specimens collected at the physician office. Should be we using POS 11.
2) We are a hospital based pathology group - Historically we have used POS 21, 22, 19, 24. For a patient whose specimen is collected in the physician office and sent to the hospital for the pathologist to diagnos - what POS should we be using. We Charge out professional component and the hospital charges out technical component. Any help appreciated.

1) We are an Independent Lab - Historically we have used 81 as the POS for specimens collected at the physician office. Should be we using POS 11.
2) We are a hospital based pathology group - Historically we have used POS 21, 22, 19, 24. For a patient whose specimen is collected in the physician office and sent to the hospital for the pathologist to diagnos - what POS should we be using. We Charge out professional component and the hospital charges out technical component. Any help appreciated.

1) No, You should be using 81 as an independent lab. You are not office based. I'm assuming you would start seeing denials related to CLIA, since many of the tests wont be eligible for performance in an office.

2) For the hospital based pathology, I'm not completely sure. Obviously inpatient procedure would coded to 21 as that is a requirement if patient is in inpatient status, regardless of where the service was actually performed. I'm not sure about the others.