• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Possible I&D coding

tlwhlw

Networker
Best answers
Not quite sure how to code this; was first thinking I&D, 10060, but not certain. Any thoughts??

Lump at side of umbilicus on L. Erythema, fluctuation noted, and purulent discharge.

Assessment & Plan:
# ABDOMINAL OR PELVIC SWELLING MASS OR LUMP PERIUMBILIC (789.35): On L. ?foreign body vs lipoma. Close to previous abdominal surgery surgical line, ? suture.
# CELLULITIS AND ABSCESS OF TRUNK (682.2): Draining of the abscess done on the lesion, abx. Iodoform packing strip applied as well. After verbal consent obtained, area is cleansed. The patient tolerated the procedure well. No immediate complications noted.

missy874

Guru
Best answers
Did the provider document how the drainage was performed? From what's posted, I don't see any indication of incision. There have been times where providers have only provided pressure to a lesion and drainage resulted--for those, I only allow the e/m. I would want more documentation before I gave a procedure code for this encounter.

tlwhlw

Networker
Best answers
After speaking with the physician, he did not do an incision. He basically examined, cleansed and covered the affected area. There was a little further drainage, but nothing cut. So this should just be and E/M code only...