Wiki Post Op retina surgery ICD 9 coding

Best answers
My physician wants to carry over the DX code used for surgery during post-op visits. I think the use of V45.69 is a better code since the diagnosis has been treated during surgery. Thoughts?

The guidelines specify that you do not code the condition if it does not exist. It is appropriate to use the aftercare V code or follow up V code with the V45.69 secondary.

You have said it is appropriate to use the aftercare V code or follow up V code with the V45.69 secondary. I am going to begin using the V45.69, but what are the aftercare/follow up V codes I should be using along with this code? Thank you for your help! :)

I've found these. Are any of these appropriate?

V12.4 Personal history of disorders of nervous system & sense organs

V19.1 Family history of other eye disorders
V41.0 Problems with sight

V41.1 Other eye problems

V67.0 Follow-up examination following surgery
V80.2 Screening for other eye conditions

The follow up codes are V67 and the aftercare codes are V58. Read the guidelines for more information on the difference between these. Basically follow up indicates the patient is just here for survellience and requires no further treatment of the pre surgical condition. Aftercare indicates that you are still providing done type of continuing treatment such as dressing changes or medication monitoring.