Wiki post partum exam

TCarrasco

Contributor
Best answers
I am a bit confused on how bill for post partum exams in the office setting. I am aware that this is a global visit and will deny by insurance. I have been told two different ways to report it. I have been told to either bill a well exam code with the post partum dx, or an e/m office visit with the post partum dx. Is either of these ways actually correct or should we not even bill anything at all....Please help!!!!:confused:

Thanks!

So you are already billing the global component?

If you billed for the global service, you would not report well care or an E/M. I suppose you could use 99024 for tracking purposes.

If you did not provide the global service and only do the postpartum visits, there is a code for that, 59430. This would cover all postpartum visits so you would only report it once.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

For most of the patients we have done all the global component, and they are just coming in for the follow up, which usually consist of a well exam and pap. On these I am more concerned about tracking, since it is global and we know the visit will not pay.
We rarely have pts come in for a post partum that we did not do the prenatal or delivery for, but in that case we will use 59430.

Thanks for the help!;)