Wiki Post Polio Syndrome vs Sequelae of Poliomyelitis

Best answers
Good Afternoon,

I am trying to update records to ICD10. One of my records is for an elderly lady that had polio as a child and now showing muscle atrophy and diminished use of her legs but also has as a result of her experience with the polio incontinence of bladder and bowel. The incontinence has been since her polio.

It is over the last 2-3 years that she has become wheelchair bound and has lost functional use of her legs.

It seems pretty clear that post polio syndrome (G14) can be used for the legs, however, I'm not sure that it is accurate for the incontinence. This diagnosis seems to fall more towards sequelae of poliomyelitis (B91). The problem is each of the codes has an excludes1 note for the other.

Our EMR has a Care Plan for each of our members and we set up a diagnosis with any related diagnosis on a given "line." In this case the bladder dysfunction would have its own line, bowel dysfunction would have its own line, and so would the muscle atrophy. Can the dysfunction codes have B91 assigned and the separate line with the muscle atrophy receive the G14? Or because of the excludes1 notes, these two codes cannot exist together in the record at all?

Thanks for the assist. Greatly appreciated