Wiki Postop medical management

Best answers
Is there a general Vcode or ICD 9 for post op medical management? I work for a hospitalist group and we frequently see patients for postop care just to manage their typical medical management and sign off on DC with the surgeon. Sometimes there is enough info for me to find the specified aftercare codes but I find myself using V45.89 for other postprocedural status frequently and I'm just not sure this is the best way to go about it? Thank you

The V45.89 is not a first listed code. You should use a follow up V67 code if there is nothing being done, or an aftercare code if there is still post op management such as suture removal or dressing changes or fitting and adjustments. Codes in categories, V54, V52, V53, V58 for example

Post-op care vs Medical management

My first question is whether the hospitalist is actually providing post-operative care, or ONLY managing chronic medical conditions?

If the hospitalist is managing long-term medical conditions (e.g. diabetes or hypertension), then the diagnosis used for the hospitalist's visit should be confined to the conditions being addressed.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Response

Thank you both for the input, you provided the necessary information I was looking for. I see both scenarios since I bill for intensivists as well sometimes they are providing postop care for ex of a heart valve replacement patient but other times the hospitalists are just managing things like DM or HTN and I always found it odd only the chronic problems were coded because I felt like it didn't explain the big picture of why a patient was admitted or seen but that makes sense to only code what is being addressed