Wiki Postpartum complication?

dbolivar1

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

If the provider documents 3 weeks post-partum with one day of acute onset severe abdominal pain and no other associated symptoms. Final diagnosis Epigastric Abdominal Pain. Would I use 090.9 Complication of the puerperium, Unspecified and R10.13 Epigastric pain. Or would it just R10.13 Epigastric pain along with 24 modifier.

My other question are we always need to use an O code for the post-partum period ?

I'm new at coding OB triage, I don't usually get a lot of post-partum encounters.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

If the provider documents 3 weeks post-partum with one day of acute onset severe abdominal pain and no other associated symptoms. Final diagnosis Epigastric Abdominal Pain. Would I use 090.9 Complication of the puerperium, Unspecified and R10.13 Epigastric pain. Or would it just R10.13 Epigastric pain along with 24 modifier.

My other question are we always need to use an O code for the post-partum period ?

I'm new at coding OB triage, I don't usually get a lot of post-partum encounters.

Thank you in advance!
The rule in the ICD10 Guidelines should be your guide. "Chapter 15 codes have sequencing priority over codes from other chapters. Additional codes from other chapters may be used in conjunction with chapter 15 codes to further specify conditions. Should the provider document that the pregnancy is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1, Pregnant state, incidental, should be used in place of any chapter 15 codes. It is the provider’s responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy." Under this rule, unless the provider has stated that this condition is incidental or not complicating the pregnancy, you would have to bill an O code as primary.

I would probably use the O code for the postpartum complication as primary and the Epigastric pain as secondary if you're billing for an OB/GYN. You'll probably need the modifier anyway. So, the O code helps explain why the OB is seeing this patient and not a primary.

Same answer for your general question. To me, it gives a more specific picture of what is happening if you use the O code when billing for an OB/GYN. Make sense?

Hope that helps.