Wiki Pouchoscopy

carol52

Expert
Best answers
Hello, I have a surgery for an exchange of a double-J stent this patient was a male with a ileal conduit he was missing a kidney on the RT side. Dr. performed an Pouchoscopy
for urology I cannot find a CPT code for this.
Thanks,
Carol

Since the pouch represents a substitute bladder, code 52000 as recommended in 2021 CPT manual for a pouchoscopy or endoscopy of an ileal conduit.. Bill 50688 for change of a JJ stent via an ileal conduit.

Be sure you know what an "ileal conduit" is, or any terminology you don't know off hand. Google is a great tool for a quick reference.

So I am having a conflicting conversation with a clinical coder for Urology who is telling me that the CPT code for this surgery is just the simple removal of a ureteral stent. 52332.
She is telling me according the American Urology Assoc. that it is a cutaneous urinary diversion utilizing the ileum or colon serves as a functional replacement of a ureter or bladder , endoscopy of such bowel segments are
captured by using the Cystourethroscopy codes I do not feel that this is correct.

1616072272253.png

Since the pouch represents a substitute bladder, code 52000 as recommended in 2021 CPT manual for a pouchoscopy or endoscopy of an ileal conduit.. Bill 50688 for change of a JJ stent via an ileal conduit.
But isn't a cysto included in the stent insertion procedure?
I'm inclined to agree with the Uro coder!