Wiki PPD Reading only

I'll wager an opinion here.

You will probaly get various opinions here. Some might say that the reading is included in the test, and others will say that 99211 is appropriate for the reading.

I think 99211 could be reported here for the reading. I am basing my opinion here on a couple of factors. First of all, in Appendix C-Clinical Examples, in the back of the CPT manual, there is an example of 99211, that shows a patient (established) presenting to the clinic for the reading of the TB test. The CPT manual states 99211 is correct to report here.

Also, there is a CPT Assistant that states that if the TB reading is the only service being performed, 99211 is correct to report.

Others may see this differently, but this is my opinion.

Hope this helps.

PPD Reading Only

Yes, you may bill 99211 when the patient returns for the nurse to view the area in which the injection was given. Per CPT guidelines, 99211 is an E/M service of an established patient that may not require the presence of a doctor. The presenting problem(s) are usually minor. Approximately 5 minutes are spent performing or supervising these services.