Wiki Practice Management HELP

khale06

Best answers
We have a doctor that has closed one practice and opened another practice. For the new practice there are some issues with some of the insurance companies and credentialing. Since there is a problem the doctor is billing under the old practice so that the revenue is not stopped. i have tried to tell the provider that this is not correct but he disagrees with me. HELP!!!

Hello-
If he just simply moved office locations it is not a problem. But if he has a new NPI and/or tax id number, he has to bill under these. You simply have to update the practice address and phone number with CAQH and NPPES and the insurance payors and change the office address in your practice management software to reflect the new practice location. He should have had this all completed though before he moved. But doctor's are not the best "billers" shall we say. Some do not have a business mindset. They only want to treat patients.

I do this a lot of time for several doctors

is very simple just get the fax number for contracting at all the insurance companies and
update the information, some insurance company has a form to update the information.

Don't forget, if he has a new tax ID and billing NPI, then you will need to reassign the benefits from the old tax ID and Medicare PTAN to the new billing provider info. Once the reassignment is approved you will need to update your PM system to generate claims with the new tax ID, billing provider name & address, and new billing provider NPI.

Lance