Wiki Practicing Op Reports

TMB1965

Guru
Best answers
I haven't been doing Ophthalmology that long, and I am not real familiar with reading op reports. I am practicing cataract surgeries, and here is an example of one. I would code it as 66982-RT with a dx code of 366.30, and I don't think this report supports using a modifier 59 for the vitrectomy, so could someone else give me their opinion on what they think. I'm struggling a little bit :confused:, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Pre-op Dx: Traumatic Cataract right eye
POST-op Dx : Traumatic Cataract right eye

OPERATION PERFORMED: Phacoemulsification, intraocular lens implantation, vitrectomy, and synechialysis, right eye.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was brought back to the operating room and prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion for intraocular surgery. A lid speculum was inserted between the lids. A paracentesis tract was made. A clear corneal incision was also made. Viscoat was used to coat and protect the endothelium. It was noted to be a large plaque on the anterior capsule. There were peripheral anterior syrechiae. The synechiae were lysed using a Kuglen hook as well as the cannula from the Viscoat. The pupil would not dilate. Malyugin ring was implanted, A curvilinear capsulorrhexis was performed. Hydrodissection was then done. The nucleus was attempted to be rotated and were only rotate 90 degrees.
The nucleus was phacoemulsified in the posterior chamber using a divide and conquer technique. After one hemisection of the nucleus was removed, sutures prolapse out of the eye. Viscoat was used to try to levitate lens into the anterior chamber. A Kuglen hook was also used to atempt to move the nuclear fragment into the anterior chamber. The wound was enlarged. The nuclear fragment was very large. Using a lens loop, the lens was delivered from the eye. It was very difficult to remove the fragment as the fragment was bigger than the 6.20 Malyugin ring.
During the cataract removal, the Malyugin ring was delivered along with the cataract. The anterior vitrectomy was performed. It was noted to be no visible vitreous in the anterior chamber. Provisc was placed into the eye. An 18.5 diopter lens manufactured by Bausch & Lomb was placed in ciliary sulcus. Miostat was injected into the eye. A #10-0 nylon suture was used to close the incision. The wound was noted to be watertight causing contact lenses soaked in antibiotics, steroids, and NSAIDs were placed on the eye lid with steroid along semi-pressure patch and fox shield.

I would not code the anterior vitrectomy. This is part of the cataract "complication" if you may and is par for the course. Not separately billable.

This is not your regular vitrectomy due to prolapse and doc did not do a "pars plana" procedure.

Case Study: Cataract Extraction

CPT Assistant Volume 2, Issue 3 Fall 1992 pages 4-9

Discussion:

Surgery consisted of the removal of the cataract from the left eye with insertion of an intraocular lens. The cataract was removed piecemeal using an irrigation and aspiration technique (CPT code 66984). The ICD-9 code reported with this surgery is 366.14, posterior subcapsular cataract.

Although not used in this case, an alternative method of removing a cataract is an intracapsular cataract extraction (CPT code 66983). The surgeon, in this technique, removes the whole lens intact. This procedure is performed infrequently today. A popular type of extracapsular cataract extraction in the last few years has been phacoemulsification. If an intraocular lens is implanted, following phacoemulsification, 66984 is the appropriate code to report.

If there is no lens implantation at the same operation, the code to be reported is 66850. All cataract surgeries may include lateral canthotomy, iridectomy, iridotomy, anterior capsulotomy, posterior capsulotomy, the use of viscoelastic agents(***viscoat and provisc***), enzymatic zonulysis, use of other pharmacologic agents, and subconjunctival or sub-Tenon injections. These services are not reported separatedly.

A vitrectomy performed at the same time is not included in this bundle of services and should be coded separately [/U](67005 or 67010 or 67036) with the multiple procedure modifier "-51."

That CPT assistant article is from 1992?

I have not been doing ophthalmology for a while now but look at the CCI edits, and introductory ophthalmology section of CCI too. If I remember correctly, anterior vitrectomies are only separately billable if they were planned (and documented) in advance of the surgery; performed for a distinctly separate and unrelated reason to the ECCE. If it comes up at the time of surgery, due to vitreous prolapse or other problem, it is bundled with the cataract code.

A pars plana vitrectomy is different.

Contact me offline and I can provide it. Cataracts are cornea and Vitrectomies are retina. Two totally different sub-specialties.