Wiki Practicode

Best answers
Hello I completed a medical coding program at my local community college and got my CPC-A certification. I feel my biggest challenge with finding entry level employment is that I do not have medical office experience. Has anyone completed the Practicode program to remove the "A" and found this helpful? My real question is will employers consider that program towards "experience"?

Thank you any feedback is appreciated

Patricia

To answer your question whether employers will consider Practicode towards "experience": Probably not. When an employer typically looks for work experience, they are looking for time served in a specific position, and the work you did there.

The main purpose of Practicode, is to use your coding knowledge on coding scenarios, but in a non-live setting. You will not get any feedback (apart from your score), if you had to query the provider, or ask the payer, etc., that you would normally be able to get in a "regular" coding setting. That being said, Practicode will count towards getting your -A removed, and additional coding practice is always beneficial.

However, if you end up doing the Practicode, I would still mention it during a coding interview, as even though it wouldn't count directly towards work experience, it still shows some coding ability.

I tell this to many new coding grads, that there are companies who are only looking for CPC-As, however they are typically larger organizations who have the bandwidth to train freshly minted coders. Failing that, you might want to consider getting your foot in the door in Registration, Patient Accounts, Billing, Customer Service (medical), Front Office staff (medical), etc., mention your goal to work in Coding and your new Manager should (if they are worth their salt) guide you towards that direction.

Best of luck!

I appreciate the feedback. Would you share the companies who typically hire CPC-As? I would like to visit their website for job postings.

Thank you

Patricia Phillips