Wiki Pre-surgical Covid Testing

SSummCCH

Best answers
Hello. I am in Nebraska and I thought I read somewhere that the commercial plans and Medicare are not going to be covering pre-surgical testing for Covid. Has anyone else heard or read this anywhere?

I certainly have not heard of this. In fact, NYS regulations REQUIRES a negative COVID test within 5 days of a planned non-emergency procedure in a hospital. This has been since end of April, when elective procedures resumed.

Do you know what diagnosis code to use for pre op screen for Medicare, they rejected my claims using z11.59. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you know what diagnosis code to use for pre op screen for Medicare, they rejected my claims using z11.59. Any help would be appreciated.

Per the AHA:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, a screening code is generally not appropriate. For encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing, code as exposure to COVID-19 (code Z20.828).

For an encounter for COVID-19 testing being performed as part of preoperative testing, assign code Z01.812, Encounter for preprocedural laboratory examination, as the first-listed diagnosis and assign code Z20.828 as an additional diagnosis.

As I was looking through my notes for the answer, Thomas swooped in.
Yes, ICD10 is Z01.812 primary, Z20.828 secondary

See question #38 https://www.codingclinicadvisor.com/sites/default/files/Frequently Asked Questions Regarding COVID-19_v12.pdf
Question: How should an encounter for screening for COVID-19 be coded, such as a patient being tested for COVID-19 as part of preoperative testing? Should code Z11.59, Encounter for screening for other viral diseases be assigned? (8/5/2020)Answer: During the COVID-19 pandemic, a screening code is generally not appropriate. For encounters for COVID-19 testing, including preoperative testing, code as exposure to COVID-19 (code Z20.828).For an encounter for COVID-19 testing being performed as part of preoperative testing, assign code Z01.812, Encounter for preprocedural laboratory examination, as the first-listed diagnosis and assign code Z20.828 as an additional diagnosis.Note: This advice is consistent with the updated ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reportingthat become effective October 1, 2020. During these unprecedented times, AHA and AHIMA concluded it was necessary to clarify the appropriate codes for COVID-19 testing in advance of the effective date for the revised official coding guidelines