Wiki Pre-transplant screening visit for kidney

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
Good morning,

I am having a hard time finding an ICD-9 code to depict a follow up office visit to discuss prescreening for a renal transplant. Does anyone know if there is such a code that you may have heard of or worked with. My experience in this area is a little green. If I am not coming across very clear, I can elaborate more if I need to.

Thank you!

Is this prescreening for a kidney donor or the recipient? We prescreen donors in our office & use V59.4

Is this prescreening for a kidney donor or the recipient? We prescreen donors in our office & use V59.4

Hi CC5657,

The recipient, what ICD-9 codes, V codes would be considered? I found, V72.83, V72.63 and V49.83...any ICD-9 codes come to mind? Maybe ESRD..don't know what others to use to support the type of visit...

Thank you so much for responding! :)

Last edited:
Hi CC5657,

The recipient, what ICD-9 codes, V codes would be considered? I found, V72.83, V72.63 and V49.83...any ICD-9 codes come to mind? Maybe ESRD..don't know what others to use to support the type of visit...

Thank you so much for responding! :)

Our patients are usually sent to the Transplant Dept. for the prescreening process. So, we never had to code for prescreening. That said, I would definately code the stage of CKD, the manifestation, and the V49.83 sounds like the best fit for a transplant screening. Hope that helps!??