Wiki Precert Info in Epic?

KSzy

New
Best answers
I'm in need of some help finding where precert/auth info is stored in Epic and where the patient's visit is marked as outpatient or inpatient.

I bill for an ortho physicians group and we regularly see patients in a local hospital. That hospital recently switched to Epic and I was granted access during the pandemic so I have not been able to attend any training classes. I'm not able to bill any inpatient visits without a precert number obtained by the hospital when the patient was admitted.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone familiar with Epic can guide me in the right direction.

I bill for a physician who sees patients in an inpatient rehab hospital. The acute hospitals that send the patients to the rehab hospital have Epic, and I frequently have to go there to get information that the rehab hospital hasn't noted in their own system. Yeah, don't get me started. ;)

We do not have full access to Epic (we cannot make entries), so what I see may be different than what you see.

Start with your patient list (and add the patient if they are not there already). When you click on the patient name, the next thing I see is a dashboard, if you will, for that patient. My screen automatically starts on the CHART REVIEW tab (top row of tabs under the menu that says HOME, INBASKET, etc.). Under that row of tabs is another row (that changes depending on what tab on the top row you are on), and mine starts on the left on ENCOUNTERS. There on the screen should be the recent visits, and my third column says TYPE. Type will show office visit, surgery, admission, etc. Now here you can do two things. Sometimes its faster to do this: Under CHART REVIEW there is another row of tabs, click on the one that says MEDIA. Scroll down, and you should see something like FORM,INSURANCE under "document type". You'll probably need to click on a few of them to find the one that has the authorization information. Sometimes you get lucky and it says "Authorization". Here you can also find a scan of their insurance card if you need to see that.

If you can't find it that way, you can go back to the dashboard (CHART REVIEW, ENCOUNTERS) and click on the admission visit. I'm looking at one now as I'm walking you through this. The one on my screen is for a surgery after hospital admission. I clicked on surgery, and the first thing I see is FACE SHEET. I clicked on that and found the precert info.

Good luck!

Sharon, thank you so much!

I was able to find the info I needed, your directions were so precise. Thank you for taking the time to walk me through it. You've saved me a lot of aggravation😊

We use Epic for Pro fee coding.I'm not sure about EPIC view for Hospitals.Once you open Patient chart click on chart Review button --Referrals--has AUTH info. 2)Scroll down Epic Menu bar click on Reg/ADT- Patient station shows the patient's visit is outpatient or inpatient.

I hope this could help you.

We use Epic for Pro fee coding.I'm not sure about EPIC view for Hospitals.Once you open Patient chart click on chart Review button --Referrals--has AUTH info. 2)Scroll down Epic Menu bar click on Reg/ADT- Patient station shows the patient's visit is outpatient or inpatient.

I hope this could help you.

Looks like I don't have access to that section:unsure: Thank you for the information, hopefully it can help someone else who sees this!