Wiki Pregnancy Visits

mllivers

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

So I've been coding for OBGYN for a little under a year now but recently I had a doctor notice that his pregnancy visits are being coded as a 99212, which I do if they are just a normal routine visit, he told me that all pregnancy visits are a 99213. Can someone please help me understand if he is correct?

Thanks,
Linsey

Hi Linsey, I would not agree with his statement. So first of all, you'd be coding the global or an antepartum care code unless there are only 3 or less visits. And then it would depend on the documentation. Without seeing a note, I would generally say 99212 over 99213 for a standard quick OB visit but I have coded 99212-99213-99214 depending on what is happening.

Hi Linsey, I would not agree with his statement. So first of all, you'd be coding the global or an antepartum care code unless there are only 3 or less visits. And then it would depend on the documentation. Without seeing a note, I would generally say 99212 over 99213 for a standard quick OB visit but I have coded 99212-99213-99214 depending on what is happening.
Hi, that was my understanding also, but he is a very particular doctor and the previous coder did what he asked. I just wanted to get different opinions since he took it to my manager and now I'm second guessing myself. Thanks for the input.