Wiki Premature Ventricular Contractions

citygirl

New
Best answers
Good Morning,

How should Premature Ventricular Contractions S/P RFA of PVC's in right coronary cusp and anterior RVOT be coded. The patient had the RFA one week prior to coming in to see the Dr. for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

Linda:
If the physician documented that this was "postoperative", then you can code the I97.89, "Other postprocedural complications and disorders of the circulatory system, not elsewhere classified.] If the physician does not link their documentation to the procedure and the patient only has PVC in the "setting" of post-procedure, you can code the I49.3 (Ventricular premature depolarization) and also the Z98.890 for the reporting of the other postprocedural states.

Chapter 33 Complication of Surgery and Medical Care within the Coding Handbook states, "Category I97, Intraoperative and postprocedural complications and disorders of the circulatory system, not elsewhere classified, also includes codes for conditions such as postcardiotomy syndrome (I97.0), other postprocedural cardiac functional disturbances (I97.11-I97.191), postmastectomy lymphedema syndrome (I97.2), postprocedural hypertension (I97.3), intraoperative cardiac function disturbances (I97.71-I97.791), and other complications such as intraoperative or postoperative cerebral infarction (I97.81-I97.821)

Hope this helps :)