Wiki Preop visit

corikr77

Contributor
Best answers
Can someone help me figure out what CPT code to use for a preop clearance visit on an established patient ordered by a surgeon not affiliated with our clinic?

Thanks,

I always used V72.84, whether it be for a new or established patient, CPT code people used to be able to use was 99244, however I've been told that's a bad code to use. I now use a 99215 for the office visit, then I use whatever the code is for the surgery, for instance 366.9 would be for cataracts, then I would use the V72.84 for the pre op examination. Let me know if you need more clarification :)

preop is either an office level that matches the level of service documented and that might not be a level 5. OR it is the CPT code for the surgery with the 56 modifier for preop. it is not a consult.

To me, pre-op exams usually meet the criteria for a consult. You have the three R's (request, rendereing of service, and report). You are getting the request from the surgeon. You are rendering the exam/testing, etc., and then you are sending a written report of your findings back to the surgeon. This meets the criteria for a consult. If the three R's are not met, then I agree you would report a problem-oriented E/M code (99201-99215) instead.

Medicare does not accept the consult codes anymore, so for pre-op exams on Medicare patients, you have to report a problem-oriented E/M code (99201-99215).

This represents my opinion of how we do these types of encounters at my sites.