Wiki Preoperative visit for Vasectomy

cnramsey

Best answers
If the patient comes in for his consult/preoperative visit for vasectomy. Can we bill for this visit since this provider will also be preforming the vasectomy? When I use craneware it shows 55250 having RVU's for the pre op/intra op/post op. This makes me believe the preop visit in the clinic is part of the procedure and we should not be billing for this visit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nichole

Generally for a vasectomy the allowance is broken out with pre/intra/post. However remember that pre-op only comes into play after the decision the surgery or procedure has been made. If the patient is seeing the provider for the first time to discuss the procedure and determine if they are eligible then this would be outside of the pre-op time and eligible for regular billing.

Generally for a vasectomy the allowance is broken out with pre/intra/post. However remember that pre-op only comes into play after the decision the surgery or procedure has been made. If the patient is seeing the provider for the first time to discuss the procedure and determine if they are eligible then this would be outside of the pre-op time and eligible for regular billing.
Thank you

What if they are doing both the same day?

You would need to append modifier 57 (Decision for surgery) to your office visit consultation appt. If your provider took the time to discuss the details of the procedure with the patient and reviewed the risks, benefits, treatment options, permanency of the procedure and reviewed patients history and performed an exam; that is separately billable on the same day of the vasectomy. Since Vasectomy has a 90 day global, you would append with modifier 57. Key is to make sure your providers documentation supports the level of office visit you are billing as if it were a stand alone visit.

You would need to append modifier 57 (Decision for surgery) to your office visit consultation appt. If your provider took the time to discuss the details of the procedure with the patient and reviewed the risks, benefits, treatment options, permanency of the procedure and reviewed patients history and performed an exam; that is separately billable on the same day of the vasectomy. Since Vasectomy has a 90 day global, you would append with modifier 57. Key is to make sure your providers documentation supports the level of office visit you are billing as if it were a stand alone visit.
I thought that also. I like to double check myself when in doubt. Thank you so much.