Wiki Preparing for the CPEDC

Tami_F

Guru
Best answers
Hi everyone. I have just under a month before the CPEDC exam, and am looking for a little guidance. The AAPC study guide is so puny! I code peds every day, and it's all I've ever coded; I'm afraid of going into the exam over-confident because of that.

Do you have any tips on what I should be studying outside of the study guide and practice exams?

Could someone point me to an E/M leveling tool that includes instructions for both the 1995 and 1997 guidelines (preferably on two pages, so it can be flipped over)? I expect there will be a fair amount of leveling on the exam, so this seems important, and I haven't found one I like yet.

I haven't been able to decide what to bring along as the additional reference, though I'm not 100% sure I will take one. I'm wary of wasting time flipping through another book, especially when it seems like all the answers should be found within the CPT, ICD-10, and HCPCS books. Is not bringing another resource a mistake?

I plan on taking this at the beginning of the year. I code for Peds as well. I am going to take my Coding for Pediatric 2017 book and it has both 95 and 97 guidelines in it.

I plan on taking this at the beginning of the year. I code for Peds as well. I am going to take my Coding for Pediatric 2017 book and it has both 95 and 97 guidelines in it.
That's a good suggestion, thank you. I am probably going to get a copy of that book for next year, but won't be able to have one in hand in time for this exam.

Do you have an auditing tool you like that shows the difference between the requirements for both the 95 and 97 guidelines?

My exam results came through yesterday afternoon, and I passed! Woohoo! I did not take any additional references, just the standard ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, and a leveling/auditing worksheet. All the information I needed was found within those three core books.

Good luck, Jennifer!

Congrats Tami!

I just started coding for a pediatrician's office and looking to take the CPEDC exam next year. How long did you prepare for the exam?

Carine Kimon, CPC

I just started coding for a pediatrician's office and looking to take the CPEDC exam next year. How long did you prepare for the exam?

Carine Kimon, CPC

I started coding here full-time in January, after doing things like procedures in my spare time during the fall when I was a clerk. So I had 11 full months of on the job experience in peds before taking the test. I think I started studying for the exam around September or October. The AAPC sale in August offered a good deal that included the study guide, practice test, and exam for about $315 (only $15 more than the price of the exam alone).

http://www.palmettogba.com/palmetto/providers.nsf/files/new_patient_score_sheet.pdf/$file/new_patient_score_sheet.pdf

http://www.palmettogba.com/Palmetto/Providers.nsf/files/established_patient_score_sheet.pdf/$FIle/established_patient_score_sheet.pdf