Wiki Presumptive and Definitive drug screenings same day?

metzger130

Networker
Best answers
I am trying to get some information on if you can do Presumptive and Definitive drug screenings on the same day with same specimen. It is my impression that you can only do Definitive if you have an unusual positive/negative and want to see what is going on. Is this true? If not can you give me a link so I can review it.

Thank you,
Rob

I am trying to get some information on if you can do Presumptive and Definitive drug screenings on the same day with same specimen. It is my impression that you can only do Definitive if you have an unusual positive/negative and want to see what is going on. Is this true? If not can you give me a link so I can review it.

Thank you,
Rob

Every payer has their own medical policies governing what they will allow and will not allow. Generally speaking, you may do presumptive and definitive tests on the same specimen on the same day, as long as you follow their policies.

Rob,

As a rule of thumb there should be a reason to support clinical utility of the definitive test. E.g. inconsistentunexpected findings of the presumtive screen. Like it was indicated above each payer has their own policy as well as CMS reg, but the need for further definitive testing should be supported by the red flags in the patient presentation and/or results of the presumtive test.

I have been searching and can not find anywhere that you would need a modifier for both to be done on same day, is this correct?

Thank you again!