Wiki preventive E/M codes

lec121661

Guru
Best answers
Good morning,
I have a question and need guidance if there is any out there. patient comes in for annual eye exam. there is no medical condition noted except for presobyia. I coded the service V72.0 367.4 and 99386 is this correct vs using the 92002-92014 code series. physician stated to return in 2 years or sooner if patient has any problems. any help it this would be great.

thank you

Preventives require specific documentation i.e. comprehensive ROS (not the same COMP ROS as the 1997 documentation guidelines), age appropriate exam and thorough assessment of risk factors based on the pt's age; screening labwork if the physician finds it necessary along with diagnostic tests (i.e. colonoscopy after age 50), nutrition and/or smoking cessation counseling; STD education if pt is sexually active, etc.... There are great articles online if you are looking for a pdf to show to your provider.
Hope this was helpful!

Preventive codes

hi Teresa

this is for a ophthalmology visit. and the chief complaint states here for yearly exam. wouldn't this constitute a preventive code. there is no problems noted and states to return in two years.

thanks
Latanya

It has been a few years for me coding ophthalmology, however I don't ever recall using the preventive visit level. I am pretty sure we always used the 92014 for a comprehensive annual eye exam. The only time this was paid by insurance is when the patient had vision insurance.

I just had my eye exam and my provider coded 92012 (I am an established patient with the provider).
Your example would not qualify as a 993XX "preventive exam".

Preventive exam

thank you both ladies. I code for the government sector and there guidelines are different then the private sector I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path. I have coded for private sector and this is new for me.

thanks again
:)