Wiki Pricing Pathology

renee dustman

Networker
Best answers
Posting this for a friend:

I was diagnosed about a year ago with what is called Benign Leucopenia (basically low white blood count). But the Hematologist wants to try to eliminate any possibilities so he can treat me accordingly. He wants to run a Bone Marrow Biopsy to see what is going on.

It is a pain to navigate thru this healthcare environment but I am trying to be my own best advocate. I am going for a Bone Marrow Biopsy and I need to know the cost of the Pathology work. I already have the cost of the procedure (CPT code 38222). I called my insurance company up – they are clueless. I called Quest Diagnostic and they don’t even know. I know my deductible is at $5000, so basically I have catastrophic health insurance.

Bottom line is I need to know what the CPT codes are that the Pathologist will run and then I can go back to my Insurance company – Blue Cross Blue Shield and ask them how the cost is applied to my policy.

If the cost of pathology is like $200, then I can get this done, but I am afraid with how Pathologists charge it could be $2,000! So that I why I am reaching out to you. If the pathology cost are the later of the two then I have another alternative which I may have to deal with.

Amazing that nobody can tell me what standard tests a pathologist runs and the associated CPT codes for a Bone Marrow Biopsy for Benign Leucopenia.​

Anyone have an answer?