Wiki Primary Diagnosis Question

bamagirl060900

Contributor
Best answers
Patient is receiving infusion therapy at home with Cubicin, the diagnois provided are 682.7 and 250.03 which would you code as the priamary diagnosis?:eek:

I would code the 682.7 first, however, your provider should be the one making that decision. You should have them number the diagnosis for you. Since the Cubicin is used for infections and the foot has an abcess I am gathering from the diagnosis I would put that one first.

Patient is receiving infusion therapy at home with Cubicin, the diagnois provided are 682.7 and 250.03 which would you code as the priamary diagnosis?:eek:
What does the documentation say? If the condition (682.7) is a manifestation of the diabetes then the diabetes is first listed but it would be 250.83. f it is not documented as causal to the diabetes and the treatment is for the condition then the condition goes first.
It does not always work to have the provider list the dx since most of them are unaware of the coding rules. We should always go by the documentation in conjunction with the coding guidelines.