Wiki primary diagnosis

PEGGYBRYANT

Contributor
Best answers
When coding for professional services I was under the understanding we would only use the signs and symptoms if a definitive diagnosis has not been established (confirmed) by the provider. I have come across some other information (can't remember from where) stating to use the nature of the presenting problem also. Can somebody give me clarification on this?

Is there a difference when you are coding for the professional services in the ED or Outpatient or Inpatient hospital?

Now that we are able to bill 6 diagnosis codes per claim how far do you go with the diagnosis coding of professional charges for an inpatient stay? Do you code each date separately? We have hospitalists who might treat many many different things throughout a stay. We end up billing each day separately due to the number of diagnoses. I was taught coding a long time ago by a co-worker who informed me to code based on the discharge diagnosis unless there was a specific problem needing attention to each day. (Yes, this was prior to my CPC days.

Thanks

Last edited: