Wiki Procedural Coding Professional

cbheusman

Networker
Best answers
Good afternoon and TGIF!!

I was hoping for some input on the books everyone is using and which ones do you find the most helpful. I have the AMA's CPT Professional and the AAPC ICD-9 but I was thinking about purchasing the Procedural Coding Professional and having my employer purchase the 2009 Coding Companions for Ortho. Does anyone use the Procedural Coding Professional and is it useful? Or should I not waste my money and get the Coding Companions from Igenix? Thanks for your input!
Cathy

which books to use

The coding companion I use they are great , they have CCI edits, layman terms, what dx are usally linked to the procedure, and gives RVU's, and Global days. and terms .
I also use the AMA professional and ingenix ICD-9. the other ones I have not used

Procedural coding professional

I use the procedural coding professional almost every day. It is very informative, gives lots of information, coding tips, coding guidance and lists RVU's, global days, and modifiers. Has lots of infomation for each code and what can and can't be used together. I do have a coding companion also , but it's only for lower: hips and below, we are ordering the upper next. It's very good also. I use it all the time when I am doing Ortho. My problem is that I work for multispecialty (anesthesia, cardiothoracic, gastro, ortho, OB/GYN just to name a few), so the procedural coding professional is of more help to me right now than the ortho specialty. (only one of my Doc's is ortho). I think it all just depends on what you are looking for. My employers are very good about getting me whatever books I think will help. So, if anyone has anything else they use, I would appreciate the help also.
Anna