Wiki Procedure billing with New patient codes

carla3640

Contributor
Best answers
I am currently reviewing billing policy and am stumped on this question. I have multiple patients that have been seen in the hospital and billed for a minor procedure such as an EEG. They have never been billed a new patient visit. When they follow up in the office after the procedure we are billing an established patient. Can we not bill a new patient for the first visit because they were only seen for a minor procedure and have never had a new patient EM code?

I am currently reviewing billing policy and am stumped on this question. I have multiple patients that have been seen in the hospital and billed for a minor procedure such as an EEG. They have never been billed a new patient visit. When they follow up in the office after the procedure we are billing an established patient. Can we not bill a new patient for the first visit because they were only seen for a minor procedure and have never had a new patient EM code?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Once a patient is seen by your provider for any reason, they become established.