Wiki Project Xtern

cmotard

New
Best answers
Can anyone that has participated in Project Xtern please help me out? What all did you do when you were participating in this program? Did it mostly involve coding? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

externship

Yes, i have. I applied to many externships(most were no longer participating in the program) and was finally contacted by one that was willing to give me a chance. After two weeks of shadowing the two billers, they offered me a full time billing position. A few weeks later, I became the primary coder.

Yes, i have. I applied to many externships(most were no longer participating in the program) and was finally contacted by one that was willing to give me a chance. After two weeks of shadowing the two billers, they offered me a full time billing position. A few weeks later, I became the primary coder.

So I've been working as an extern going on 8 weeks doing Project Xtern and have done no billing or coding whatsoever. I have been working on figuring out patient refunds. I don't feel like I have a mentor and just feel like a burden on this company and they just want free labor. Most of the time I have a question there is no time for it. I want experience but I don't think I am getting anything out of this. Here's the good part...they asked my to continue my externship (unpaid) for 3 days a week and be a Payment Poster (paid) the other 2 days. How can I be an employee yet work 3 days unpaid...especially since I am not billing or coding unpaid. I thought this was my foot in the door but...I think I am getting the short end of the stick in this deal!

I need opinions please and thank you!!!