Wiki Prolonged visit question

kstults

Networker
Best answers
I have some hospitalist that are stating the below and that they have documentation to back this up which they are going to provide for me but I wanted to post for further clarification as this doesn't seem right to me.

Dr. A sees a pt in the hospital and bills a hospital visit, Dr B sees this same pateint later in the day because they are having an issue and bills a prolonged service to Dr. A. These Physicias are in the same group.

I could be wrong but this does not seem correct and I even clarified the statement go make sure that I heard them right.
Help!

I think the physicians are meaning to say: we both can see the patient on the same day, and "add" our time together - not necessarily "prolonged services" But they were close.

When multiple providers see the same patient on the same day, they need to combine their time and services for one overall E/M code. Because both physicians are billing with the same practice tax ID number, they would be considered one provider and their services would not be paid separately.