Wiki proper billing with units and bilat modifier 50

jennburgel

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if I use a 50 mod for a bilat procedure is the units still 1? For example I am billing for a 64493 50 should the units still be one even though I expect to be paid at 1 1/2 times for both sides?

Can anyone tell me if I use a 50 mod for a bilat procedure is the units still 1? For example I am billing for a 64493 50 should the units still be one even though I expect to be paid at 1 1/2 times for both sides?

Yes, this is stated in the Meficare manual, as well as the Federal register and I have found it in many commercial payer instructions. You are not billing two bilateral procedures, you are billing for one procedure ( unit 1) performed bilaterally (mod 50)

Last edited:
Makes sence given when I had my heel chord lengthening I was only charged 1/2 for the second leg and I only paid Anes once.

You will need to double check with the commercial payers that you are contracted with. MMO requires 2 in the units field when utilizing modifier 50. You should expect the allowed amount to be 150% of your contracted rate. Hope this helps.